The Child Labour (Prohibition And Regulation) Act, 1986
Object of the Act
To regulate the conditions of the work of the children in certain employment.
The Important clarifications
- 'Child' means a person who has not completed his 14 years of age.
- 'Establishment1 includes a shop, commercial establishment, workshop, farm, residential hotel, restaurant, eating house, theater or other place of public amusement or entertainment.
Prohibition of employment of children In certain occupations and processes
No child to be employed in occupation set forth In Part A of the Schedule or any workshop wherein any of the processes set-forth in Part B of the Schedule is carried on.
Hours and period of work
- Not to exceed three hours
- Interval for rest- one hour
- Spread over not more than six hours inclusive of interval and the time spent for waiting.
Not permitted to work
- Between 7 pm to 8 am.
- Overtime working. If such a child is working in another establishment.
One whole day, not to be altered more than once in three months.
Notice to Inspector
Furnishing details of
- Name and situation of establishment.
- Name of the person in actual management of the establishment.
- Address for communication.
- Nature of the occupation.
Maintenance & production of register by occupier
- The name and date of birth of every child so 1 employed or permitted to work.
- Hours and period of work of any such child and the intervals of rest to which he is entitled.
- The nature of work of any such child.
- Such other particulars as may be prescribed.
Dispute as to age
In the absence of certificate of age, can be referred for decision of prescribed medical authority.
Health and safety
In the To be notified by appropriate government in accordance with guidelines given in section 13 of the Act.
Display of notice
To contain abstract of section 3 pertaining to prohibition of employment of children and the provisions for penalties.
|For violation of section 3||Imprisonment for not less than 3 months which may extend to one year, or fine not less than 10,000/- which may extend to Rs. 20,000/- or both.|
|Repetition of violation||For violation of the provisions of Act or the Rules, imprisonment of 3 months or fine upto Rs. 1000. On continuing contravention, additional line upto Rs. 100 per day|
|For failure to :
||Shall be punishable with simple imprisonment which may extend to one month or with fine which may extend to ten thousand rupees or with both.